NARROWBAND IOT IS NOW AVAILABLE!
NOW YOU CAN MONITOR YOUR HIVES LITERALLY ANYWHERE THAT BEES CAN FLY
Many beekeepers use their hives in remote areas where Wi-Fi or Cellular service is not available. The knowledge that is gained from knowing the weight of the hive is recognized as being extremely valuable. We have been asked by beekeepers if we can provide an option to the Wi-Fi Hive Scale for sending data to the Web from remote apiaries that have no Wi-Fi or Cellular access.
Narrow Band Internet of Things (NBIOT) has been deployed in recent years to transmit tiny amounts of data up to the web. Applications include smart metering for gas and water meters, building intrusion, fire alarms, personal appliances to measure health parameters, and tracking people, animals, and objects. (And now a Bee Hive Scale)
It is a reliable, slow speed, low cost, low power network with a global reach that does not need a gateway (like a router)
NB IOT isn’t available over the oceans: but there are no bees flying there.
NB IOT isn’t available on mountain peaks: but there are no bees flying there.
NB IOT isn’t available in the desert: but there are no bees flying there.
• An NB IOT option is now available which allows Wi-Fi Hive Scales to be used in Remote Apiaries. Using NB IOT for the hive scale is similar to using Satellite for transmission at a greatly reduced cost.
• NBIOT is an optional add-on that is pre-installed on the Multi Sensor Wi-Fi Hive Scale when purchased.
• In the USA, the NBIOT uses the T-Mobile network and data costs $1-$3 per month per scale.
• USA T-mobile coverage map: https://www.t-mobile.com/business/solutions/iot/nb-iot-coverage-map
Australia Telstra NBIOT coverage map: https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/about-enterprise/our-network/iot-coverage-map
• No setup required, Register and Provision your SIM at Soracom (In the USA), and as always, we are here to help get your data flowing along with your honey.
HOW IT WORKS:
The Scale uses the NB IOT network.
The NB functionality is preinstalled in the Multi-sensor WIFi Hive Scale. A SIM card is preinstalled in the scale. In the USA, we are using Soracom as the third party. The ICCD for the SIM is provided for you to register on Soracom’s site. Soracom provides a cost-effective solution for devices to access the NBIOT while sending or receiving tiny bits of data. The cost of data transfer for the Wi-Fi Hive Scale is approximately $1-2”ish” per month per scale.
O’Keefe Electronics does not have a monthly fee for this service. You will need to create an account at Soracom. You will need to provision it on the Soracom site. They have excellent online help, and we are here to get you started as well.
Soracom uses T-Mobile as the carrier for NBIOT for your data.