Single Sensor Wi-Fi Hive Scale:
The Wi-Fi Hive Scale is inserted under one side of the hive. Since bees build out somewhat uniformly in the hive, the hive scale accurately represents the weight of the hive and can be used to indicate changes in the weight over time, hour by hour.
The unit connects to a Wi-Fi network and sends the weight and outdoor temperature up to the web once per hour. Once data has been uploaded to the Web, the unit enters a power savings mode to maximize battery life.
The beekeeper uses a phone app to initially connect the hive to the World Wide Web by assisting with a connection to the beekeeper’s router or range extender.
An unlimited number of hive sales can be connected to the same router.
The weight and temperature is provided to the beekeeper on the PC, smartphone, tablet, etc. and can be viewed anywhere in the world, with the latest weight and temperature provided every hour around the clock. The beekeeper does not need to be near the hive.
Multi Sensor Wi-Fi Hive Scale
The Multi Sensor Wi-Fi Hive scale provides an economical solution for beekeepers that want to monitor multiple hives in their Apiary. It consists of a single electronic control unit with multiple sensors that are at least 10 feet away. All of the features and benefits of the Wi-Fi Hive scale with web access are the same as the Single Sensor unit that has been in the field for a number of years.
Optional Narrowband IoT (Click HERE for more info)
Many beekeepers use their hives in remote areas where Wi-Fi or Cellular service is not available. The knowledge that is gained from knowing the weight of the hive is recognized as being extremely valuable. We have been asked by beekeepers if we can provide an option to the Wi-Fi Hive Scale for sending data to the Web from remote apiaries that have no Wi-Fi or Cellular access.
Narrow Band Internet of Things (NBIOT) has been deployed in recent years to transmit tiny amounts of data up to the web. Applications include smart metering for gas and water meters, building intrusion, fire alarms, personal appliances to measure health parameters, and tracking people, animals, and objects. (And now a Bee Hive Scale)
Optional Cellular IoT (Click HERE for more info)
For Apiaries in remote regions away from a Wi-Fi router, a cellular hotspot solution is available for use with the Multi Sensor Wi-Fi Hive Scale. The unit powers up a cellular hotspot only during transmission of data.
Optional In-Hive Temperature / Humidity Sensor
An in-hive Temperature/humidity sensor is available. This data can provide insights into the health of the hive. Only one in hive temperature/Humidity sensor can be used with the Multi Sensor WiFi Hive Scale.
Features and Benefits
I have two brothers that are/have been avid beekeepers with multiple hives. I asked one of them how he determined the weight of his hive. He said “I hike it.” He would lift one side to determine how much honey was in the hive compared to other hives in his apiary.
- We developed a scale that essentially "hikes the hive" all of the time. The scale is placed under one edge of the hive. The opposite edge is raised with a 2X4 to compensate for the added thickness of the weight sensor. Beekeepers learn everything that they need to learn about weight trends in the hive with the Wi-Fi Hive Scale
- It is easy to install under an existing hive. The scale sensor can easily be inserted under a 250+ pound hive. Try inserting a platform scale under an existing 250 pound hive full of bees!
- The "half scale" or the "hinge scale" concept keeps the price low.
- The beekeeper has access to the hive weight via a website every hour. This means that the data is available on a PC, tablet, or smartphone 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world.
- The battery life is calculated to last over one year when Lithium batteries are used for lower winter temperatures.
- The user is provided a range of transmission intervals to optimize battery life. Data is gathered once per hour, and the hourly data can be transmitted on intervals of every 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 hours. As an example of battery life using Lithium ion batteries, actual measured battery life when transmitting 8 records 3 times a day in the field is around 5+ months. When transmitting every hour, a 4 month battery life is achieved. This will vary depending on temperatures.
The Web Portal
The Wi-Fi Hive Scale website can be accessed on your PC, tablet, or smartphone. It lists all your hives with a summary of the current weight, weight change in one day, and weight change in one week. You also have access to battery voltage and the Wi-Fi signal strength.
The beekeeper has the ability to individually select a given hive and view a graph of the data over time for the selected hive.